Monday, 30 January 2017

DECLUTTERING YOUR SKINCARE COLLECTION


I'm not sure why, but this summer I was hit with this overwhelming urge to clean up my room (weird I know), which involved throwing away a lot of old stuff including clothes I didn't fit anymore/didn't like/didn't look good on me, old painting supplies, high school notebooks (I'm entering my 3rd year of uni, so I definitely don't need to hang onto those) among many other old trinkets and things that I didn't need to keep anymore. A few weeks ago, I decided to tackle my skincare collection, and oh my lordy I had a lot of stuff!

Being a beauty blogger, I am very lucky to be sent press release samples of cleansers, moisturisers, eye creams etc. While I am extremely grateful for all of this, It doesn't change the fact that I only have one face (#trufact) and I am simply unable to get around to using every single product, let alone, use those products regularly.
With that in mind, I started to clear out my skincare shelf by first dumping carefully placing all my products onto my bed. Then I grabbed some good old Dettol cleaner and started wiping down my shelves ready for my selection of skincare bits to return to.
Then, I sat down, put on some music and went through each product one by one checking the following:

1. Smell - Does the product smell weird or off? If so, chuck it.
2. Texture - Is the texture of the product still the same? 
3 Expiration date - Most skincare items have a shelf life of about a year maximum. I tend to view the expiration date of skincare products, more like a 'best before' date. To some this probably sounds kinda yuck, but If a product has been sitting in a cool, dark spot for a couple of months, and it still smells fine and the texture is all good, then I don't see why it should be thrown away. Sorry if me saying this makes you cringe, but let's be real, I'm not about to throw away a very expensive product if it's still perfectly usable.

After I've sorted out the usable products from the expired or funky, I go through the pile again and begin sorting into subcategories:

1. Giveaway - Items to gift to family and friends.
2. Keep - Products I'm keeping for myself.

It's actually a pretty simple process, the only difficult thing about it can be going through your collection if you own a lot of things. It's perfectly normal for us to want to hoard our belongings because we feel safer with more stuff, but at the same time, I think it's really beneficial to streamline what you own and purge a bunch of things you aren't gonna use, or that are beyond usable. Not only does it free up space, but with owning less skincare products, you are able to see everything that you own and won't run the risk of purchasing something you already have.

There's something weirdly satisfying about getting rid of things and sorting out the things you want to keep, so for that reason, I challenge you to go through your skincare/make up collection and start sorting through your products. You'll be surprised at how much stuff you get rid of! Tweet me and let me know how you get on!



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...