Monday, 5 December 2016

GETTING BACK INTO READING


Just the other day, I was on my Goodreads account when I’d noticed that I had completed and surpassed my reading challenge for 2016! My goal was to read 15 books, and so far I have finished 17 books, with a couple more on the go. Now to some, this number might seem a little pathetic, but considering last year I wasn’t able to finish my goal of 12, completing 17 books is quite something for me. I never used to be big on reading, as I always found it difficult to pay attention for long periods of time and would end up having to re-read pages over and over again, but in the last couple of years, I felt like I was missing out on something that could really benefit me. Not only is reading a good way to relax and unwind at the end of the day, but it is also great for improving your imagination, creativity and writing abilities. 

For those of you who are keen to get back into reading, or would like to start incorporating it into your nightly routine, I’ve compiled a list of a few of my tips for you… 

- First and probably most importantly, find out what sort of genre’s you like to read. In order to do this, I recommend going to your nearest library and grabbing any book that draws you attention in any way, whether it be the cover, the blurb or the title. This might take a while, but keep going until you have a decent amount of books, (maybe 5 or 6). Then take a seat in the library and begin reading through the first couple of pages of each book. When you find a book that you ‘click’ with, put it to one side, and move onto the next. Essentially what you are wanting to create is a ‘yes’ and a ‘no’ pile. Once you’ve done this, put away the ‘no’ pile into the book return trolly and then lay out your ‘yes’ pile and assess what common themes these books share. You might notice that 3 out of 4 books are mystery novels, in that case, you’ve narrowed down a particular genre that seems to interest you. While this can be a bit of a tedious process, I’ve found it’s the best way to sort out what I like and what I don’t like when it comes to books. Deciding where to start can be very overwhelming, but by targeting certain genre’s, you are making it easier for yourself to find something you will actually enjoy reading. 

- Make the time to read each day. Whether it’s in the morning, afternoon or night, set aside around 20 minutes each day to read. After a while of sticking to this routine, you will find you are naturally inclined to pick up a book and read. 

- My next tip is in regards to starting a new book. Sometimes I find this is the most annoying bit about reading, because I have to remember a whole new ‘set’ of characters and situations. That being said, in order to finish a book, one needs to actually begin it. (wise words i know) When I first start a new book, I will decide how many pages I am going to read. For instance, if one chapter is 20 pages long, I will usually only read up to that point. The next time I come to read my book, I double the amount of pages I read last time. So the first reading session I read 20 pages, so during the next reading session, I will read 40 more pages. After a while of doing this, I gradually get more into the storyline and end up reading more pages than I intended to. It sounds like a bit of a weird thing to do, and I don’t do this for every book I read, but I do find it to be helpful for those books that you really want to give a go, but are finding it a little difficult to get into the swing of things. 

- And finally, if you’re not enjoying a book you are reading, don’t feel you have to finish it. Life’s too short to read something you’re not into, and there is sooooo many other books that you will enjoy, you just need to find the right one.

If you'd like to see what I'm currently reading, feel free to add me on Goodreads!  


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...