Monday, 2 May 2016

A LITTLE BOOK




I'm not usually one to read short stories, simply because I like novels that take a bit of time to read. That being said, when I read a short story I always feel very satisfied, because I can start and finish the book on the same day, and if it wasn't a good story, then I don't feel so bad having read it, because it took up barely any time at all. 
I recently picked up The Sheltered Woman by Yiyun Lee after having seen it in my local bookshop. It is only 52 pages and it was very cheap, so I decided to buy it. I figured If I didn't like it, I could always gift it to someone who might.

A Sheltered Woman tells the story of Auntie Mei - a live in nanny who looks after newborns and their mothers. She keeps track of all the babies and families she's looked after in a little notebook - 126 families and 131 babies. Her job has been fairly easy up until this point, but the 132nd baby prompts a crisis in her life...

This book only took me exactly 30 minutes to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I love Yiyun's simple and straightforward way with words. She manages to convey a certain sense of emotion without being melodramatic or cheesy, which I definitely think suits the type of story she is telling.
Even if short stories aren't your thing, I'd still recommend this based on how easy it is to read and how complete the characters feel, despite not a lot being said about them. If you're a slow reader, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes.

Are there any short stories you particularly enjoy? Let me know in the comments below! I'd love to get into reading more this year!

p.s. There will be no Thursday post this week due to uni work. I hope you understand.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...