Monday, 25 April 2016

HOW TO DEVELOP A SKINCARE ROUTINE • PART TWO


In the first part of this post (which you can find here), I talked about the basic 'skeleton' of a skincare routine being cleansing, exfoliating and moisturising. While basic skincare routines are perfectly fine and can do a lot for the improvement of skin tone and texture, sometimes you may want to add in a couple of new products to benefit your skin even more. In this post, I will be touching on the use of toners, masks and serums.
I will talk a bit about what these products are, what they do and give a couple of recommendations. As I said in my last post, I am in no way claiming to be a professional when it comes to skincare, I just really enjoy talking and learning about it. If you have any serious skincare concerns, I'd recommend seeing a dermatologist. 

TONERS //  Toners are liquids that are applied to the skin after cleansing and before moisturising. They are designed to restore the skin's pH balance after cleansing and minimise the appearance of pores. When the topic of toners are brought up, we often think of a hash astringent liquid that dries out the skin and any blemishes that may be present, and some are like that, but there are also an array of toners which don't contain any alcohol and are actually really soothing on the skin. A really affordable toner that I'd recommend to everyone is Cortas Rose Water, which you can buy from Pak n Save (if you're in nz) or pretty much any Middle Eastern Grocer. The reason I would recommend this to everyone, is because not only is it very cheap ( i think a bottle is about $6) but it also does a brilliant job at balancing out the skin while still being very gentle. 

MASKS //  There are a few types of face masks on the market, so for the purpose of this post, I will be only talking about wash off face masks. Face masks are applied to the skin after cleansing/exfoliating and are designed to treat a particular skin type or condition. They are often applied to the skin using either the fingers or with a foundation type brush and left on the skin for anywhere around 10-30 minutes before being washed off. If you have quite oily skin, the best kind of mask would be a mask that contains clay. Clay helps draw dirt and oil up and out of the skin and help to tighten pores. Cream masks do not dry as much as clay masks do and are therefore better suited for dryer skin types that need added hydration. Masks are actually one of my favourite products at the moment because they can instantly improve skin texture and appearance. If you would like to see some of my favourite masks for oily/combo skin, click here.  

SERUMS //  Serums are essentially highly concentrated products that are patted into the face, delivering active ingredients deep into skin. They can be used to improve specific skin concerns such as hyper-pigmentation, acne, aging, dryness etc. Because they are highly concentrated, serums can often be quite pricey, but they can absolutely be worth it. When I feel like my skin is quite dehydrated, often coming into winter, I like to pat a hyaluronic acid based serum into my skin. Hyaluronic acid (not to be confused with hydrochloric acid) sounds scary thanks to the word acid, but it's really not. This ingredient is often used in hydrating skincare because it basically acts as a magnet to water. When applied to the skin, it pulls any moisture in other products layered on top, deep into the skin. Pretty cool huh? A serum which I've heard a lot of good things about is the Skin Inc Q10 serum which is designed to enhance the skin's ability to energize and renew itself for firmer feeling and looking skin. 

I don't know how many people have heard of it, but there is a thing called the Korean 12 step skincare routine which I thought would be an interesting thing to bring up in this post. The 12 step routine consists of:
1. Oil cleanse 
2. Cream/ foaming cleanser
3. Exfoliation
4. Toner
5. Essence
6. Eye cream
7. Treatment 1
8. Treatment 2
9. Moisturiser
10. Sheet mask
11. Night Cream
12. Sleeping pack

I don't know about you, but this seems quite excessive to me. I have actually also tried it out for myself to see what all the fuss is about, but for me it was just too labour and time intensive and quite honestly, I'd rather spend the extra time reading! I'd love to know if any of you have tried the Korean 12 step routine and if so, how did you find it?

I really hope part two of this post was helpful and I'd love to hear what your skincare routine consists of and/or any products you'd recommend for a particular skin type.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...