Saturday, 5 March 2016

WHERE I'VE BEEN FOR THE PAST LITTLE WHILE


Hi lovelies, as you may have noticed, I've been absent from the blog for a little while and I'm really sorry about that because I really wanted to put out some posts before I started back at uni. This time however, my absence wasn't because of a lack of inspiration to post or even just being plain lazy. Instead it was because I was in hospital with appendicitis. 

On the 20th of Feb, I woke up with severe stomach pain, which I put down to having had oily Fish and Chips for dinner the night before. However, later that day, the pain hadn't subsided and it had settled into my lower right side. My dad (who is a GP) called up the hospital to try and see if I would be able to be booked in for an ultrasound scan. They advised me to come into the hospital the following day (Sunday) and they would try and book be in for a scan.

The next morning my dad drove me to the hospital where I filled in my forms and eventually met with a nurse who did all the usual tests, one of which being a blood test. (I HATE BLOOD TESTS/NEEDLES). After that, various nurses and student doctors etc. came in to ask me lots of questions and prod my stomach. After a couple of hours of waiting around and one ward transfer later, I was told that I wouldn't be getting my ultrasound until early the next day and they told me that they wanted to monitor me overnight until then. Like most people, I was not keen at all to stay in the hospital overnight, so my dad managed to convince the nurses to grant me hospital leave (seeing as both my parents are in the medical field and the hospital is close to where I live) and I was to come back at 7am the next morning for my scan.

The next morning I woke up bright and early and accompanied by my mum, I returned to the hospital, where I was given a bed and more blood tests, fluid etc. Oh, I forgot to say, they had told me not to eat anything from 2am the night before, so I was really hungry at this point! Eventually a nurse returned to tell me that my ultrasound would be in about an hour, which I must say was a relief considering from this scan they would be able to tell me what was wrong! The nurse gave me a litre of water to drink before the scan (your bladder has to be full in order for them to see your organs clearly on the monitor).
Finally, after what felt like ages, I was wheeled in a wheelchair down to the room where I would get my scan. After drinking all that water in addition to the fluid they had been pumping into my arm, I was freezing! ha! The person who was wheeling me grabbed me 3 extra blankets to keep me warm, and I have to say, once I was all wrapped up in blankets, I looked a little like Jesus! (If Jesus was a girl and hooked up to an IV.)

I won't bore you with details of the scan or the long wait for the results, but basically the doctors who looked at my scans noticed that my appendix was much larger than it was supposed to be and very inflamed and surround by fluid (lovely). They said that they wanted to operate the next day. I'd never been put under General Anaesthetic before so I was really nervous. That night I was transferred to another ward where I spent the night.

[Fast forward to Tuesday]

Knowing that I was to have surgery, I didn't get much sleep the previous night. That morning, my mum returned to visit me before my surgery and basically try to stop me from getting wrapped up in my worried thoughts! At around 12.30pm ish my bed was wheeled into the theatre where I was told what was going to happen during the operation and what to expect when I wake up. They told me how the process of anaesthesia worked and made me feel a little less anxious about what was to come. After a little while, I was brought into the operating room where I had to climb from my bed onto the operating table (ever so gracefully). I remember them putting an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose and then the woman who was administering the anaesthesia told me she was putting a muscle relaxant into my IV and I would begin to feel it working in about 2 minutes. Sure enough it started working and the ceiling started swinging and my eyes felt like they were rolling around in their sockets. I felt really loose and floaty which was quite nice in contrast to how I was feeling around 5 minutes prior! I remember saying that I felt dizzy and was scared that I would fall off the table (thankfully I didn't). The last thing I remember before she put in the anaesthesia, was her telling off the doctors for talking too loudly. heh!
After what felt like no time had passed, I woke up in recovery with the oxygen mask still on and very very dry lips. They removed the mask when they saw I was awake and asked me how I was feeling. They asked me what my pain was like from 1-10. I said 5, but only because I thought that was a nice number and it made perfect sense to me at the time. I later told the nurse I was actually in quite a bit of pain, (more like a 7 or an 8) so she put some pain relief into my IV. For the rest of the afternoon I was really sleepy and quite frankly, felt like a big ol' slug.

Anyway, I won't bore you with too many more details of post surgery, but basically I was really exhausted and sore. I felt nauseous every time I sat up or tried to stand and this nausea lasted for a few days after I went home, hence the reason I really couldn't bring myself to write any blog posts.

Now it's been about a week and a half since my surgery and I've recovered a lot. I was scared that I would miss the first week back at uni, but thankfully I didn't. my incisions are still a bit sore and I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy for a little while, (already broke that rule...whoops!)

Now that I'm feeling better I'd love it if you could leave any blog post requests in the comments below this post and I shall get onto writing those up for you. Thank you for being patient with me. After I'm done writing this post, I have two other posts ready to put up in the next couple of days so you can look forward to those!

Thanks to those who sent me a text, visited me in hospital, messaged me on Facebook or tweeted me while I was in hospital. While I fully realise that my surgery was nothing major and other people have gone through a lot more than me, your support meant a lot to me while I was going through this new and pretty scary experience. Thank you again, and I shall see you in my next blog post.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...