Friday, 11 December 2015

BOOKS • READ/CURRENTLY READING

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've done a book post, but seeing as the university year has finished for me, I've had a bit more time to finish some books I started as well as start some new ones. Today I thought I'd share with you 4 books, 2 of which I have read, and 2 which I am currently reading.

READ//

I finished reading It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini at the end of last month and I really enjoyed it. When you think of books that deal with the topic of depression and suicide, you may often think of books that are really sad, but this book wasn't. Vizzini manages to tackle the sometimes taboo subject of Clinical depression with his funny and engaging way with words. I found this book very easy and quick to read, so if you would like a quick read, with a different storyline to all the other YA fiction out there, definitely give this one a go.

I first heard about The Grownup by Gillian Flynn from many people on Goodreads who were giving it very good reviews, so knew that I had to read it for myself. Being a short story, it took be only a couple of hours to read, but by the end I felt I had read a full novel, with just how much Flynn managed to fit in the space of 64 pages. (It is weirdly satisfying starting and finishing a book so quickly). I can't really talk too much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it too much, but essentially, it is very creepy and I think everyone should read it! And if you do, let me know what you thought.

CURRENTLY READING//

I started reading the Domesticated Brain by Bruce Hood around the end of October, however I didn't get too far before putting it down to start something else. The reason being is not because it is not interesting, but because it was covering a lot of the same stuff that I was studying for my Philosophy exam. I had started reading this during my study breaks but then I realised when I was reading this, I was essentially doing philosophy revision which is what I wasn't supposed to be doing during these 10 minute breaks! I hope to start reading this again soon, because I really want to get into the book more as I've heard great things about it.

The most recent book that I started reading is Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland, which is about a secret Vermeer painting, and how it came to be in the hands of it's current owner (among other things I'm sure, but I've only just started). Because I've only just started reading this, so I can't say I'm really into it yet, but I think once I read further, I will enjoy it more. I initially picked this book up, because I really like Vermeer's work and reading a book about his work sounded right up my alley. I'll be updating how I find this on my Goodreads, so if you want to hear what I think, head over and give me a follow/add me as a friend.

What have you read/are you currently reading? Have you read any of these books? If so, what did you think?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...