Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Iphone Photography Tips



Now, I’m not claiming to be an expert at iPhone photography (is there even such thing as an iPhone photography expert?!) but having a beauty blog and taking LOTS of pictures of products and pretty things, I’ve learned a few tips to ensure my pictures turn out the best they can.

LIGHT: My first tip involves finding the light. For my pictures I like to use natural light, because I reckon this gives the best final result. By using natural light, colours show up true and everything is a lot more crisp and less grainy than artificial light. Seeing as it’s currently Summer here in NZ, I tend to take my pictures in the late afternoon/evening as the sun isn’t too bright and there won’t be any harsh shadows cast. I really don’t like using flash in my photos, so if it’s too dark, I’ll just usually wait till the next day. But by all means, if you like to use flash, then flash away! (that sounds worse than I meant it to..)

BACKGROUND: I like to have a clean and crisp looking background for product photos, so when I take product photos for instagram, I lay out my products on a white window-sil/seat thing. Doing this means I have a white background, AND an excellent source of natural light (shining through the window in front). If white backgrounds aren’t really your thing, then experiment with different fabrics and surfaces.

BURST MODE: I like to take quite a few photos so that I can pick out the best ones from the bunch. To take multiple photos (a ‘burst’) all you have to do is tap the screen to focus the image and then hold your finger down on the shutter button. The longer you hold your finger down, the more photos it will take. This is also a great feature to use when taking a group picture with your friends!

STRAIGHTEN: Being the perfectionist that I am, I like to make sure that my pictures are straight and centred. Sometimes this doesn’t matter if I’m taking a picture of ‘scattered’ makeup, such as in my #FOTD’s, but a majority of the time, I use the edit feature within the iPhone camera or VSCO cam to straighten any pictures that might be a little off. To do this through the iPhone camera, simply select the image you want in your album, and tap ‘Edit’. Then tap the crop symbol (next to the cancel button) which will take you to the place where you can rotate, crop and slightly rotate your image.

BRIGHTENING: Despite taking photos in good lighting, I do sometimes have to further brighten my images. To do this I either use the brighten feature on Instagram or I use VSCO cam to ‘up’ the exposure a little. The only problem with brightening images, can be that the contrast can get lost. To fix this, simply bump up the contrast one or two levels.

I really hope you enjoyed this post, and please do let me know if you'd like to see more of these sorts of posts in the future!




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...