Saturday, 10 January 2015

BRAIDS: TEXTURISING AND ADDING VOLUME

Hello! I hope you didn't mind me being somewhat absent for a few days over Christmas and New Year, I've been working on a few things, one of which being a painting commission for a family friend. But anyway, I'm back now for 2015 and excited to see how this blog will continue to grow!

Today I wanted to make a post about braids. More specifically, adding texture and volume to braids. I'm sure we've all experienced that feeling of discouragement when you find a really awesome braided do on Pinterest, and leap to the task of trying to recreate it, but when finished, the braid looks pretty limp and lack-lustre. I certainly know that feeling. But I've realised what makes those wonderful braided hairstyles look the way they do is the texture and volume that goes into them. The first thing one may think of to add volume to a braid is to "fluff it out" a bit, pulling the braid apart gently to make it appear thicker and fuller. 

Now that's all fine and dandy, but the next problem then lies in the fact that this volume doesn't seem to last beyond 10 minutes. One product I've found that really helps to retain this volume is Vo5's Give Me Texture Instant Oomph Powder. When I first bought this, I used it to give a bit of volume at the roots of my hair,and let me tell you, it feels pretty gross when used on the scalp. So with that experience, I didn't really pick it up again, until I suddenly thought, the reason why it felt gross on my scalp was because it's kind of sticky. This stickiness would be perfect to help hold in bobby pins and ..BRAIDS! I tried dusting a little of this powder into my hair when it was braided and lo and behold, it worked!

My lovely friend, Lily very kindly let me borrow her hair for this post to demonstrate how much of a difference adding volume and texture to the braids can make.



As you can see, by adding a little of this powder amongst the braid, I was able to "pull apart" the bits of hair to make the braids wider and thicker. It also creates a nice tousled look which I think looks really pretty. The first image is braids that have been pulled apart as much as possible without any product and the after picture is how much more you can pull apart the braid WITH the Oomph powder. Pretty cool huh?



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...