Yes, I know what you're thinking, this is a beauty blog, why is this a recipe post? I figured that I may as well post the occasional recipe seeing as along with beauty and makeup, food and cooking is a huge passion of mine.
Today I decided to try out making brownies, but more specifically, raw brownies. If you're not familiar with raw baking, it is basically where you don't cook/bake the food in order to retain the nutrients. Raw baking is also vegan.
As it is Summer here in NZ, I felt like making something that didn't require turning on the oven. I used a recipe by The Rawtarian, however, I altered it to suit what we had available. These would make excellent Christmas presents, (just make sure they don't have a nut allergy before you give these to them!)
1 cup pecans
1 cup dates (pitted)
5 tablespoons raw cacao (cocoa) powder
4 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Place pecans and almonds in your food processor and process until they become small and crumbly. A bit like breadcrumbs.
2. Add dates to the pecans and process again until the mixture sticks together and the dates are well processed. The mixture will start to clump together.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the pecans, almonds and dates and process again until the mixture turns a lovely dark chocolatey brown. Stop processing before it gets too buttery. (There should still be air between the small bits so that you will be able to roll them into balls).
4. With clean hands and a teaspoon, spoon out a little of the mixture into your hands and begin to press and roll the mixture into a little ball. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Refrigerate these brownie bites for a couple of hours. You do not have to refrigerate them, but they are much more solid when chilled.
6. Store this raw brownie recipe in the refrigerator if it lasts that long!
Let me know if you give these a try!